Tuesday 29 July 2014

A Home For Every Fuzz-Ball ~ Kudos to the Spay Neuter Kingston Initiative !


I've been feeling it for a while now, this urge to connect.  I speak and post about OneLove as though it needs no explanation, needs no translation.  But posting is simply not enough anymore.  I must do.

Enter THIS, the extension of a program put out by the City of Kingston and The Spay Neuter Kingston Initiative.  This is exactly what I need, to involve myself and feed this desire to be the change I need to see in the world.

Let's face it, kittens are adorable.  In the year 2014, one of the most commonly watched videos on Youtube are amateur videos of adorable kittens doing every day stuff.  I swear those little fuzz-balls are funny no matter what they do!  Problem is, these videos don't illustrate the whole story.  I mean, I'm happy for any kitty who finds a forever home.  Even more so, if they're adored to the point of video taping!  But the whole story is only partly cute.  The other part sees too many kitties without loving caregivers.  That's a shame.  We all deserve love.

If only every resident of this planet wanted or had space for a wee fuzz-ball or a dozen!  The fact is, there are too many pets and not enough homes for them.  Depending on her age, a female cat can have anywhere from two to six kittens each litter.  And as many of my well-intentioned friends can attest, the rebound hormones are sending even the youngest mother cat to the door within weeks of welping.  It's nature.  It's strong.  And it can happen in mere minutes!  I once had a Rottweiller get preggers by the neighbor's Newfoundlander within minutes and through a chain link fence.  Procreation is a determined force to be reckoned with.  Before you know it, your little kitten has 007 caliber stealth when it comes to escaping out the door.  One cat quickly turns into several that cause all kinds of adorable havoc in your life, not to mention drain your wallet.  This is why many shelters and humane societies prefer early sterilization of all pets.  It's not so much that they don't trust you to spay or neuter in the future, it's that they know the drive to proliferate is strong and the signs are not always easy to recognize.

The feral cat population is different though.  They may look cute from afar, but these are not domesticated house cats and no amount of coaxing can make them so.  Because of this, these packs are somewhat dangerous as kids have been known to try to befriend street cats before, and disease spreads quickly in these colonies. These are not and will never be adopted or adoptable.  Culling is a dirty word and it only takes a few litters to increase the members of a pack.  It's a vicious circle. The Spay Neuter Kingston Initiative has the answer for this population crisis of feral cats.

So how am I going to help?  First, I'm going to sign up HERE as a volunteer.  I think you should check it out too.  There must be almost a dozen various ways that we can help:  from donations to fostering feral kittens, from setting up traps and feeding stations, to driving to get supplies.  I'm going to spread the word about this program, and keep my eyes peeled for any feral cats in my area.  If I see one, or hear of any I'll email the location to spayneuterkingstoninitiative@gmail.com.  I'm also going to print a sign with the above info so others in my area can make a difference too.

Now back to my animal-loving friends looking for an affordable way to spay or neuter their forever friends. I know one softy who may soon need a bulk discount.  There is the Kingston Napanee Spay Neuter Clinic. You can check them out HERE and fill out a contact form for pricing and appointments.  A friend is full of praise for the Veterinarians who are the healing hands behind this clinic.  I never tire of hearing kudos about good Doctors of all kinds!

We humans are like cats in that we are pack animals.  We need to feel needed at times, and connection with others is therapy in itself.  If you're like me, and you feel this too, then I'll see you there ...

Being the change we wanna see.



No comments:

Post a Comment